I chose to complete the Mashup Assignment Video Game Cover Mashup for 3.5 stars. This assignment caught my attention as I had already done a video game related post this semester: Animal Crossing New Horizons: Video Game Review. Summary: This assignment will be completed through the use of photoshop. Take two existing video game covers and mash them up so that both can be identified but in a different style. Try to be creative in the title and artistic design.
Behind the Work
In my Animal Crossing New Horizons: Video Game Review post I talk about why I started playing the switch and the games that I have played. If you haven’t read it, check it out! Since then I have played Stardew Valley and Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe; I have The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, but I haven’t played it yet.
Even after playing new games, Luigi’s Mansion 3 is my favorite game, followed by Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Recently Animal Crossing put out a Mario update:
I really love this update and it made me wish they had a Luigi’s Mansion update too. That’s why I chose to make a video game cover mashup of these two games.
Video Game Covers:
During the Work
I use Gimp for all of my assignments that involve altering images. I downloaded each of the video game covers and then imported them into Gimp as layers. My first step was adding an alpha channel to the Luigi’s Mansion 3 cover. I then used the Fuzzy Select Tool to mask everything but Luigi, the Title, and Gooigi. This was a hard step because most of the colors on the cover are very similar. When I got as much of the background masked as I could, I switched to the Free Select Tool and got the remaining spots I could see. I noticed that they would not be a way for me to layer this new image over the Animal Crossing cover because I cannot take out the Animal Crossing logo. So, I went to google and downloaded a full size image of the game cover and used it instead:
After importing this new image as a layer into my GIMP project and deleting the old game cover layer, I transformed the Luigi layer into the desired position on the AC cover. I then used the crop tool to make the image look like the shape of a game cover. Finally, I exported the project as a .PNG.